Summer is upon us! And so is the heat. Keep cool this summer while saving money with the top five energy-saving tips for the summer from your Long Island green energy company, Tragar Oil:
- Cool Down More Efficiently: Keep your air conditioning at 78°F when you’re at home and at 85°F when you’re away. Install a programmable thermostat to help with temperature adjustments and save money on your cooling bills. Turn on ceiling fans when you’re in a room so you can set the AC temperature higher when you’re home. Be sure to turn them off when you’re not in a room or at home. Turn off the AC when you can and open windows. Close all windows and doors when the AC is running. Close blinds and curtains to keep out the sun’s heat. Install a whole-house fan in your attic to help cool your home more efficiently.
- Cut Down on Electricity: Turn off everything you can when you’re not in the room or at home – TVs, lights, entertainment systems, computers, tablets, monitors, cable/satellite boxes, video game consoles and cell phone chargers. Unplug them completely when not in use or plug them into power strips that you can simply switch on and off as needed.
- Clean, Fix and Seal: Regularly clean and change your air conditioning air filters. Make sure the ductwork on your central air conditioning is sealed properly and fix any leaks. Weather-strip, caulk and seal leaky windows and doors.
- Adjust Your Appliance Usage: Use the outdoor grill or microwave instead of your range or oven. Use cold water to wash only full loads of dishes and clothes and air dry them both. Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 120°F and insulate the tank. Use low-flow showerheads and take shorter, cooler showers. Remove humidity from the bathroom with a bath fan after bathing and turn it off when finished.
- Make Some Energy-Saving Home Improvements: Upgrade to ENERGY STAR-rated products and take advantage of the many rebates and incentives available from government or utilities. Appliances, as well as LED or CFL light bulbs, windows, electronics and other products, with this label must meet strict efficiency guidelines set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the United States Department of Energy and will, therefore, save you money on your energy bills in the long run. Consider smart landscaping since properly placed trees around the house can save between $100 and $250 annually on your energy bills.
Here’s a bonus tip to help you increase your home’s energy efficiency, be more environmentally friendly, reduce your carbon footprint and save money on your cooling bills this summer:
- Learn More about Your Energy Use: Consider having a home energy audit or home energy assessment. It’s the first step in reviewing how much energy your home consumes and indicates what measures you can take to make your home more energy-efficient. This appraisal shows you problems that may, when corrected, save you significant amounts of money over time.
Contact Tragar Oil today to learn more about home energy audits. Our green energy experts can answer any questions about how to save energy and save money this summer. They can even discuss upgrading to ductless AC. Don’t forget to ask about our free, no-obligation quote!