A heating emergency is more than just an inconvenience. It can be dangerous to you and your family. Losing your heating is something that usually doesn’t happen often and you should take every precaution to prevent it. Tragar Home Services can help make sure your boiler remains in good working order and we’ll also make certain your oil is delivered on time. We can always be there in the event of an emergency, but it’s important to understand that loss of heat and other winter emergencies can and do happen. Tragar will work hard to keep those emergencies as brief as possible, but we also want you to be prepared when they happen.
Tragar Can Help With Winter Emergencies
Tragar can help keep your home warm in the winter, cool in the summer and we will take care of problems when they pop up. We’ll install and service your boiler and we also offer service packages. We’re not just about home heating. When winter ends we’re one of the top home cooling companies on Long Island. Tragar also offers plumbing services year round. We are still combatting Old Man Winter so Tragar wants to tell you how to be ready for winter emergencies.
Staying Safe in Winter by Planning Ahead
Winter storms can throw many things at you from heavy snow to dangerous ice and high winds. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) outlines steps you can take to prepare your home before an emergency happens including:
- Checking your heating system by having it professionally cleaned and serviced. Tragar offers heating system tune-ups.
- Inspect your fireplace and chimneys.
- Make certain you have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors installed with working batteries. Make certain you know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Have an alternate heating source available in the event of an outage.
If you do lose your heat, there are steps you can take to limit the damage while you wait for help. Liberty Mutual’s website makes several suggestions including, rolling up towels and placing them at the base of exterior doors to keep cold air out and warm air from escaping. Also, consider hanging blankets over those doors. Use the sun to your advantage during the day by opening the curtains on south-facing windows.
What to do When You Have a Power Outage
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed for as long you can.
- If the outage goes on for a long time, consider consolidating all home activities into one room while keeping all other interior doors closed.
- Wear extra layers, gloves, hats and any insulated clothing you might have.
- If you have a fireplace or a generator use them, but be certain to do it safely.
- Expecting a long outage? Consider going to a hotel if you can travel there safely.
- Generators need to be operated outside your home in a well-ventilated area so that exhaust will not blow inside.
Let Tragar Be There During an Emergency
Tragar is dedicated to keeping your home safe all year round. We offer 24/7 emergency services for things like lost heat, broken burners, fuel leaks, burst pipes, flooding, and loss of hot water. We can also make an emergency oil delivery if you run out. To learn more about what we offer, contact us today.