It’s that time of year. Summer is here. Temperatures are rising and you have the air conditioning running. It’s also prime time for even the most properly maintained central air conditioning or ductless air conditioning system to falter.
While many air conditioning problems require the expertise of a professional cooling company such as Tragar Oil to fix, there are some minor issues that homeowners can handle on their own.
The Most Common Air Conditioning Problems
Tragar Oil, your Long Island green energy company, has put together a brief rundown for troubleshooting common air conditioning problems:
- Drainage Problems: Clogged condensate drains or lines could cause water to pool inside your home and cause damage. Check and keep the drain pan and lines clear of dirt or algae.
- Dirty or Clogged Filters: Make sure you regularly clean and replace your filters. If you don’t, then dirty or clogged filters could diminish your system’s efficiency by reducing air flow to the unit. Reduced air flow that goes unchecked over a period of time may cause your whole AC system to freeze, as well.
- Condenser Problems: A condenser can become blocked or clogged by tall weeds, grass or other airborne debris. Make sure it stays clear.
- Thermostat Problems: Check to see if your thermostat is set at the right temperature and is also reading the correct temperature.
- Sensor Problems: This mainly occurs with window units, but this is still frustrating nonetheless. If the AC unit is cycling constantly or behaving erratically, then check the sensor located behind the control panel. If it’s knocked out of position, then it can’t properly measure the temperature of the air coming into the evaporative coil. The sensor should be near the coil, but not touching it. Carefully bend the wire to hold it in place.
- Lack of Maintenance: Routine maintenance and tune-ups are a must in order for your system to run properly and efficiently, as well as last longer. A professional technician can perform checks on your system at the start and the end of cooling season.
- Component Failure: Parts such as the fans or compressors and their controls can stop working properly and prematurely fail if there’s a problem that causes your system to cycle on and off constantly. A professional technician can quickly and easily diagnose and fix the problem.
- Refrigerant or Coolant: If this is low or leaking, then it could lead to problems. A professional technician should be called to remedy this situation.
When You Should Call a Professional Cooling Company
Homeowners who have a fundamental understanding of their air conditioning system and its parts can easily clean and perform basic troubleshooting on their AC units.
However, if these quick, easy fixes don’t work, if larger issues are at play, or if there’s an issue that involves coolant or refrigerant, then homeowners should immediately call a cooling system professional Long Island cooling company such as Tragar Home Services.
Our team has the experience to remedy any cooling system problems that arise. Our cooling technicians can also set you up with air conditioning service and perform air conditioning maintenance and an 18-point inspection of your AC system.
Our green energy experts can answer any questions, or even discuss upgrading to ductless AC. Don’t forget to ask about our free, no-obligation quote! Contact Tragar Oil today to learn more and don’t forget to ask about our free, no-obligation quote!