When you own a home, you know that at some point you’re going to have to deal with a problem. It’s why you see so many posts on social media asking everyone to recommend a handyman, electrician, plumber, or contractor. There are many mishaps that can happen in your home, but one of the worst things that can happen to you is having your pipes freeze and burst. You’ll be dealing with flooding, water damage, insurance companies, and having to scramble to find a shower. If there’s anything you want to scramble to prevent, this is it. Fortunately, this is a problem that’s usually preventable by winterizing your pipes. And if your pipes do burst, Tragar Home Services can help.
Tragar Can Help During Plumbing Emergencies
Tragar has helped Long Island homeowners stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer for more than 60 years. You know us for our heating and air conditioning service, and we now offer plumbing services. We’re available 24/7/365 and we’ll do plumbing services like fixing leaks and installing bathroom and kitchen fixtures. We’ll clean and repair your drains, install backflow preventers, sump pumps, water filtration systems, and garbage disposals. We’re your home plumbing experts and we want to show you how to protect your Long Island home by winterizing your pipes.
Prevent Your Pipes from Freezing & Bursting
We’ve reached the time of year when the coldest temperatures are expected. But according to Bob Vila’s website, if the temperature of your pipes drops below 32 degrees for even a short period of time, you’re at risk for having your pipes burst. So, you need to walk around your house and look for potential problem areas where your pipes may freeze.
- Are your pipes insulated?
- Can the cold air that blows in from crawl space vents cause your pipes to freeze?
- Are there vulnerable areas like pipes near an unheated garage?
- Make sure that your garage door is closed.
Angie’s List Makes Several Other Suggestions
- Add pipe insulation, particularly if you’re concerned about extended cold weather.
- If you know the temperature is going to plunge overnight, turn your faucets on to create a slow drip.
- Check for any cracks or openings in the exterior of your home that may cause cold air to reach your pipes.
- Make sure your heat is at a good temperature if you’re going on a winter vacation.
- If you turn your heat down, you may come home to a disaster.
What If My Pipes Do Freeze?
If your pipes do freeze, be careful. Call your plumbing professional and avoid putting flames or any type of extreme heat on your pipes. If you do this, it could cause a fire emergency. It’s always best to leave this situation to the professionals at Tragar Home Services.
Let Tragar Protect Your Home This Winter
Winter weather can be tough on your home, but Tragar Home Services can keep you protected. If your pipes burst or if you have another plumbing emergency, we’ll be there for you. We can also take care of an emergency repair on your gas or oil furnace, or help you install a new one. If you have concerns about winter heating and plumbing, contact Tragar today.