Tips and Secrets to Buying a New Heating and Cooling System
Experts say be careful when you buy a new heating and cooling system. Many homeowners invest in high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment and don’t get the comfort and energy efficiency for which they paid.
The home heating and cooling system professionals at Tragar Oil, your Long Island green energy company, have put together a short primer so homeowners can better understand efficiency ratings and the importance of proper in-home installation. In addition, here are some tips and secrets to buying a new heating and cooling system:
1. Understanding Efficiency Ratings. Modern heating and cooling equipment are very well-made and dependable. Most problems occur when the systems are installed. The EPA says, “Newly installed heating and cooling systems that are under or over-sized, improperly charged, or connected to a poorly designed duct system will not deliver the rated efficiency.
2. Make Sure Your New Equipment Is the Right Size. Bigger is not always better. Many contractors will sell you a bigger unit than you need because it costs more to buy. However, it will also cost a lot more to operate, and it may result in a less comfortable home.
3. Make Sure Existing Ductwork Is in Good Repair. A good contractor will:
- Inspect your ductwork and repair leaks.
- Insulate your ductwork in unconditioned spaces such as attics, garages, crawl spaces and basements.
- Make sure your ductwork has no hidden design flaws that “choke” the airflow through the equipment.
4. Make Sure Your New System Is Installed Correctly. Do not salvage and continue to use parts of your old system. Almost all new high-efficiency systems require that your contractor replace both indoor and outdoor coils and copper wiring for maximum efficiency.
All cooling systems, gas heaters, oil furnaces and water heaters must be vented properly out of your home and tests and measurements of gas pressure, chimney draft, and carbon monoxide production must be performed.
The most important part of your heating and cooling system buying process is picking the right contractor., you should make certain you get a written, itemized estimates before they begin work.
So be sure to contact Tragar Oil today to learn more about how we can help you choose the right heating and cooling system for your home.
Our green energy experts can answer any questions, or discuss even more energy-saving tips, the installation of new heating equipment, oil-to-gas conversion, Bioheat®, radiant heating, heat pumps and hot water heaters. They can also tell you about ductless AC and central air conditioning options. Don’t forget to further inquire about our no-obligation, free estimate.