Ductless air conditioning is growing in popularity because it has many of the benefits over central air conditioning – quiet, effective, and convenient – without the drawback of having to install expensive ductwork. If you’re looking for an alternative to noisy window units, this guide to ductless air conditioning can answer your questions.
What Is Ductless Air Conditioning?
Ductless AC involves an interior unit, usually wall mounted but occasionally ceiling mounted, which handles air flow and has an evaporator to remove excessive humidity in the summer, which can make a room feel more hot. The compressor/condenser is outside and the two are connected through a small pipe, thereby leaving most of the sound outside so ductless AC is much quieter than window units.
While commonly referred to as “ductless air conditioning” systems can be purchased that will also provide heat, usually through the use of a heat pump.
Is Ductless AC Right For You?
Ductless air conditioners are perfect for a variety of situations:
- To cool and/or heat new additions, sunrooms, garage apartments or space converted into “man caves,” etc.
- When you need independent temperature zones
- To downsize large homes by letting people keep their thermostat at a minimal level overall and then cooling the actual room or two they use with ductless AC
- Rooms that have a specific heating or cooling problem, such as the north facing room with inadequate heat or the small, extremely hot, southern-facing kitchen with huge stove and big windows that don’t open
- To add air conditioning (and/or heat) to a room without ductwork
Why Choose Ductless AC?
- Lowers humidity levels, making the room cooler
- More energy efficient than central air because up to 30% of heating and cooling is lost in the ductwork and dehumidified air cools more quickly
- Quieter than window units
- Doesn’t block windows, light or the view like window units do
- Cheaper than installing central air
- Safer because a burglar can’t get in through the wall opening
- Better air quality than central air, which requires frequent duct cleaning
- Some units provide both heating and cooling
- Does not need to be removed and stored in the winter
Also, while ductless AC is more expensive than a window unit, it’s far less expensive than installing central air. Ductless AC does require professional installation but the maintenance is easier and cheaper than with central air conditioning, which requires both operational unit maintenance and duct cleaning to avoid mold and air quality problems. For ductless units, monthly washing or replacing of the air filter is very important.
If you’re not sure if a ductless AC or mini split system is right for your home, talk to the heating and cooling professionals at Tragar. They’ll evaluate your needs and provide recommendations or read more about the benefits ductless air conditioning.
Tragar Is the AC Upgrade Expert
If you’re considering a cooling system upgrade, talk to the experts. Tragar Home Services is a Long Island-based and family-owned business that provides exceptional heating and cooling services. Tragar conveniently offers air conditioning repair services 24 hours a day, seven days a week, just call (516) 221-2559 or fill out this form for a service request.